Tuesday, August 10, 2010

girl of a feather

So, I've got the trappings of a long-dead pheasant on my head.



Vintage pheasant feather fascinator: antique store off highway
'n' pendant: gift from aunt
Black tee: H&M
Gold leaf cuff: antique store
Vintage leaf belt: from Grandma
vintage tan skirt: thrifted
Tights: Target
Miu Miu knock off pumps: Baker's
Vintage frame bag: antique store





A friend and I took a six hour round trip yesterday to Galesburg, Illinois, which boasts a fine antique store as well as the college attended by my little sister. We managed to patronize both.

On the way there, though, we made a pit stop for gas and bladder relief. I noticed there was a po-dunk-a-dunk antique store next door to the gas station and I decided to stab two pheasants with one stiletto and use the bathroom there.

I was waiting for the toilet for a solid seven minutes or so, which is a long time when you consider the fact that there are 420 seconds crammed into that and I was staring at a door. I kept hearing decidedly non-bathroom noises - some clinks, dings, and hums. Needless to say, I was confused. I finally knocked and a lady confusedly poked her head out of the door.

"Oh! Is someone waiting?"
"Yes, I am."
"Oh! Okay. You go. I will go back in after."

I was puzzled until I realized that there was a bargain shelf in the actual bathroom. I am not sure what marketing model they are pursuing, but someone decided at some point to put a shelf of doo-dads into the bathroom and no one has apparently objected since.

Then I noticed the pheasant fascinator. My inconvenience was immediately legitimized and the universe restored its order.





Maybe someone could rig up a pheasant trap and DIY this?

22 comments:

Blair said...

What a funny story! You look lovely, the shoes are amazing, especially with that skirt!

:)

Jocelyne said...

I had no idea you were back! YAY!! I just read it via Eyeliah! Welcome back pretty!

Eline said...

Ha, I love that story :D

And that's a great headband! I also love your shoes, tights and mustard skirt = everything, ha.

Alyse said...

The bag! The tights! The shoes! I'm very much in love with this outfit.

Jane Milton said...

I adore all your belts. Ever since I saw them years ago (yes, I've been following since way back when) I've been on the lookout for something similar. The search has been futile. =*(

t said...

Love those tights! You look great. :)

http://initialed.blogspot.com

Leilani said...

Pretty awesome, that makes me regret not stopping at all the little weird antique shops that I see in the rural areas around my hometown of Fayetteville, Arkansas. Next time...

Catherine Catarina Au Jong said...

love your look and everything
I found you through chictopia and I love your style
Following you
hope you can follow me as well ;p

http://etinological.blogspot.com

love.
Etinology

Trishna said...

You posts never fail to make me smile, even laugh out loud, no matter how crappy a mood I am in. You look amazing in various shades of brown, which makes me green with envy but oh well, what can you do!!!

I thrifted eight skirts yesterday, I am so excited to finally hem, take them in and wear them on the blog. Aren't vintage skirts the best. :)

Megan Mae said...

Adorable outfit! The tights are awesome. The headband is so cute! And has a great story to go along with it.

I did a DIY headband here. Many craft stores have pre-made feather pieces or you can buy the loose feather. Grab the hot glue gun and it's good to go.

Kelly said...

Wow, what a funny little store!

Audi said...

I'm so glad to see that you're back! You're looking wonderful as always!

Anything but Bland said...

awww you are so so so cute! let's follow each other? I look forward to your future looks! love it so!

love, polly ;D

Eleh said...

what a story! i wish we had more antique stores her. anyway, you look stunning as always :)

Ruta, Look Ugly in a Photograph said...

Wow! You look so pretty. I love everything about this outfit. Those tights and shoes are incredible.

Tracy @The Wardrobe Wanderer said...

Oh you look fabulously lovely! I love the whole vintage vibe..and those SHOES--WOW!

xx

Indie.Tea said...

:) You look amazing...especially your pheasant-ish handband and the vintage-like purse. I like the retro elegance of your whole look...

Anything but Bland said...

thank you, miss! love that hair piece, too! :)

Not a Paper Cup said...

Love the knockoff pumps! :)

Morgan Jordan said...

You look amazing, so Mad Men!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Traveller said...

You have a really darling vintagy style, and the shoes are great! Very similar to the originals. ; )

Keira said...

Ughhh, I love you more and more as I scroll down!! I'm SO glad you visited my blog so I could find you. Your style is impeccable.