Monday, August 2, 2010

A garment from my angsty phase

This dress has known me for longer than any other piece in my closet has.



Headband: Wal-Mart
Vintage scarf: Grandma
Vintage dress: Garage sale
Miu Miu knockoff stacked pumps: Baker's
Vintage 60s frame bag: flea market, yesterday

I found this sucker at a garage sale in town the summer before my sophomore year of high school. It is the one item (besides perhaps random tank tops, tees and sports bras) that has seen me through the most. I am now a few weeks shy of 24, and I like to think that perhaps my life has changed since then.

Ways in which my dress has seen my life change:
* It has welcomed me home from Russia and Ukraine (although joined me in neither...SUITCASE JUSTICE!!!)
* It has seen my current hair length, a layered shoulder-length do, a bob and a pixie
* It is now paired with a beige armband to cover my ginormous tuberculosis IV
* Over the years it has become tighter or looser. Depends on the day.

Ways in which it remains unsurprised:
* I remain bumbling and awkward in front of gentlemen callers
* It knows about the Uggs in my closet (Author's note: Dude. Come on. I live in Chicago, you know? Sometimes I have to run and buy milk at 7-11, you know?)
* My income still cannot yet sustain much more than 50 cent garage sale dresses
* It still hears the 'Full House' opening credits playing intermittently from the television downstairs





True fact: my close up bust-up shot today looked so effing ridiculocioulious today that I am going to destroy my camera with a mallet and shove the broken pieces into a cobwebbed corner for all eternity so they can think about what they've done.

Until then, I'll enjoy debuting my new frame bag. I do wish that someone would go back in time and invent cell phone pockets in 1950. Perhaps I'm the girl for the job?

5 comments:

Andi B. Goode said...

You look lovely. And I really enjoyed this post! It's nice to know what an item of clothing has been through with someone, sometimes.
-Andi x

Sheila said...

This is a great outfit! I love the vintage scarf and bag, and those shoes!! So fabulous.

Megan Mae said...

Gorgeous shoes! The dress is lovely, too. Sometimes pieces can hold so much history.

Miki's scrapbook said...

Those shoes are great!

Terri said...

ooh, me likes, all these shades of brown.