Sunday, July 18, 2010

A physical quandry

I admire the ladies who are able to make this act look so much less awkward than it is.



Vintage fascinator: thrifted
Blouse: Forever 21
Belt: vintage Judith Lieber, from Grandma
Skirt: H&M
Slingbacks: Target

Really, how does one pose for an outfit photo? I have tried 'sly coquette,' but the jig is essentially up. This is a personal blog. I am obviously aware that the photo is being taken. Actually, my mom is probably taking it. I am probably saying something bitchy about her keeping her ubiquitous photo thumb out of the frame just before I thrust my shoulderblades back, stand up straight and freeze while jutting my best angle toward the camera. But that never feels like enough.



...so I pull out my best moves. "Why don't I lean against THE HOUSE?!?," I think to myself. "YES! That is what a girl in this outfit would do. And bring your knee up. And twist it to the side. Now, imagine there is something to your right that is competing for your attention. As if you don't even notice that your knee is popping or something, or is that just your kneecap shifting? My word, that thing just wiggles around when you push it! Hold on, what would I be smiling at to my right? A snake on a pogo stick? A buffet of skittles and cold cuts? Either, I suspect, would lead me to flirtatiously giggle whilst pushing the limits of my airborne, balanced knee as I balance against my house's foundation on a slingback heel. It is so natural, in fact, that I swear this shot was candid.





...Bad news, though. 100 people were polled about who rocked the fascinator look:

WHO WORE IT BETTER??????



Natasha, the author, 19%



Fiona the Pug, 81%

...and there you have it. The judges may not have been kind, but Lordy, were they fair.

6 comments:

Blair said...

Wow, I think you look stunning!! I don't know who your pollster is...but I think they may have some problems...

Try switching the percentages :)

Terri said...

I love the look as well as the interior monologue!! You read my thoughts!

Eyeliah said...

I wouldn’t have noticed you were awkward until you said. There is a slight hesitation behind your smile, I struggle with feeling natural as well.

mona said...

Aww ... Fiona looks absolutely darling! She appears somewhat apprehensive about her posing skills too, but it only adds to her charm! :)

I adore your outfit and the poses look great to me!

Leilani said...

Hi there, I'm glad to have discovered that you're blogging again! Love your fascinator, I have a green one very similar to it. Are you still living in Chicago? I'm in the Ukrainian Village.

bestie said...

Hahaha. Well, Fiona does wear it well but I am still partial to the blog author! (: