Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Apology, accessories and archives

Please excuse my lack of posts. I was so busy during the school year and have finally gotten the chance to relax and catch up with old friends...before I knew it, over a week had passed without blogging. Beyond that, I have yet to unpack everything after moving out of my apartment and many of my clothes and accessories are still neatly shoved into rubbermaids and hefty bags. Still, I am back and will make an effort to be more present.

This past weekend I attended an annual garage sale at a local church. It has been one of my favorite events of the summer for years. It is huge, cheap and run by kind senile ladies who have no idea what they are giving away. My best find at the sale is something I can't actually wear in the summer, but it will serve me quite well in the Ukrainian winter. A vintage genuine fur pillbox hat for only $5:

Photobucket Photobucket

...the kicker?

Photobucket

I also recently found the perfect take-it-anywhere black handbag at an antique store. I adore frame bags right now, and this one is pleasantly roomy. I like black handbags because I am not much of a switcher...I am too disorganized and carry too many random things. The last time I switched purses for an evening out I left my keys in purse #1 and found myself in the uncomfortable situation of being locked out at 3am.

Photobucket

...on a final note, I found a moldy old outfit shot I took a few weeks ago to deliver a speech for a history conference. I forgot to post it and stumbled upon it yesterday when I was deleting old photos from my camera.

forgotten outfit

Shades: Target
Vintage 60s suit: thrifted
Giraffe brooch: flea market
Grey knee socks: Target
Spectator pumps: Bakers

28 comments:

(R)evolver74 said...

Love vintage bags like that! And great outfit!

Nel said...

Why fur? I thought you would be above wearing fur...even if it is vintage it's still not alright.

Times of Glory said...

I really understand your situation... when I'm busy, it's just hard to balance time to blog!

Oh I love your vintage finds! They are great! The hat, the bag and your 60s suits are superb! I love that red... the beautiful red!

WendyB said...

I thought that hat was a pet at first! LOL! I'm not saying that in some kind of anti-fur fascist way, I just really thought it was a critter.

Lil' Puch said...

Love the skirt suit, that color looks beautiful on you!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nadine said...

Your vintage bag is great and so is the pill box. I love it :).

estrella said...

That suit is really great, from the cut to the colour!

Fashion-Obsessed! said...

Hey. I'm glad your back, and great vintage finds, that is such a bargain! Great post, :)
It annoys me how everyone finds these amazing vintage finds and i never find anything :)
Bye
xx

getting-freaky said...

Fantastic!

-annabanana- said...

wow! u look kinda like julianne moore.

The Clothes Horse said...

Great accessories--I love the pillbox hat...though I'm betting you'll get a lot of flak for it online... ^_-

Rachael said...

LOVE the 60's suit! Amazing look, and the socks make it even better. You pull it off so well.

And, about the fur thing... It's vintage, and you're taking it somewhere that is actually INCREDIBLY cold, so I think it's morally acceptable. To be honest, I don't understand why people get so much more excited about fur than they do about leather.

selinaoolala said...

awesome suit! so dior aw08

annabananna said...

your suit really is gorgeous. and i like all your finds!

Spandexpony said...

Excellent hat find and lovely skirtsuit! And when in Rome... you'll be quite at home in the Ukraine in a fur hat!

Annie said...

Curse you
(not really :))
I've been hunting for a frame bag for months with no luck! That hat is an awesome find as well.

bestie said...

woah! you look badass-chic. (is there such a thing?) well, you're it!(:

LOVE the hat and the bag, oh yes.

AsianCajuns said...

OMGosh!!! That hat! $5 for Dior... I almost fell off my office chair (would be hard to explain to the bosses seeing as I'm designing a rather dry website at the moment).
I also love that muted red suit with those gray socks- gorgeous!
ps- and I want that brooch- too cute!

Vintage Vinyl said...

I'm glad you are back! I missed your posting.
I can't believe that hat! I love old ladies and their style. Sounds like a sale I want to be at.

little parisienne said...

so cute! the hat is gorgeous!^^

styledigger said...

this bag is perfect. PERFECT.

Wendy said...

I always like the way you wear knee highs in outfits. I must learn from you.

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

No worries, you are busy. Great hat, it will be perfect.

Squishybubble said...

Oh wow... though I am not a huge fan of fur...DIOR??? those ladies MUST be nuts.
That suit definetly was good for a speech!!

Stephanie said...

It's so awesome that you have full vintage suits like that! I wish I had a similar one that I could've worn to my conference..

Lady Language said...

Love the black frame bag! And yes, I think we are all taking a bit of a break. It's good to get off the internet for a while and interact with the real world :-)

TheSundayBest said...

Good god that hat is perfect.