Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Swap meet and sea shades

I've been so wrapped up with preparations for my first week of classes that I didn't get a chance to write about the clothing swap I attended this past Sunday evening hosted by Eve and Amber of Painfully Hip. It was a great time...I met plenty of fantastic fashionheads, ate some divine guacamole and made off with some stellar duds. This is what I wore:

fit to be tied

Bow headband: Forever21
Tie blouse: Alice Temperley for Target
Big-button skirt: Forever21
Tights: Target
Brogues: Wal-Mart

I did not maintain my oddly pensive facial expression all evening, alas.

The swap was held in a loft in Wicker Park, a funky, artsy neighborhood in Chicago. The streets are littered with hipster dives and vintage stores, so it was an ideal location. Each guest laid out her cast-offs and wandered about the room cutting deals for newfound treasures. I am always carting off bags of unwanted things to local thrift stores or community relief organizations, but there was something so nice about seeing something you can't care less about make someone else's day. I donated several things that I was either sick of or just didn't fit right, so it was wonderful to see someone rocking each item the way it deserved to be rocked. I made off with a few sweaters, dresses, a skirt and a pair of boots. I am sure I'll be working them all in soon!

Photobucket

...and, at the end of the barter-fest, everything landed into a free-for-all pile of textile madness.

Photobucket

Of course, the unclaimed pieces will all be donated!

As for today, I had the first meeting of my senior capstone class, which is supposed to be the pinnacle of my history studies. I am still not quite used to the idea of graduating. The class is centered around a research study of a specific city. I believe I'll be focusing on Lviv, Ukraine. It is such a fascinating city...I haven't had the chance to visit yet, though I've been to Kyiv. Lviv has been, technically, Polish and Ukrainian, and it is thus emblematic of national identity issues which get me hot and bothered.

This is what I wore:

sea palette

Beret: thrifted
Silk scarf: from Grandma
Blue turtleneck: clothing swap
Belt: thrifted
Skirt: thrifted
Tights: Urban Outfitters
Boots: Rainbow

It's funny how much this reminds me of yesterday's outfit, even though no piece is the same. Last night, I watched an episode of "Intervention" about a girl my age addicted to Crystal Meth. I half expect to walk into a room sometime soon, filled with my family and friends, who sit me down and tell me, "Natasha, we love you so much. Please make a commitment to change. YOU'VE GOT TO STOP WEARING THE BERETS."

Finally, my boyfriend and I made cookies for our friend in the military. We plan to send a batch to him in Iraq. The problem is, we can't cook worth a damn. Somehow or another, the first batch came out looking like this. They aren't actually burnt, but they are as flat as tortillas and are all gooey in the middle. They also welded together into what is basically a puddle. You can't pick them up in one piece and I don't know if they technically qualify as cookies.

Photobucket

And, yes, in case you were wondering, we did scrape them off the sheet with a fork and eat the mooshy balls we were able to salvage. He started it, but I had one too. I am not ashamed.

18 comments:

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

lol, when I make cookies they look like that too (unless they are pilsbury!). I wanna plan a clothing swap in my town one day, I just donated so much good stuff, so I wouldn't have anything to contribute if I did that right now. :-)

Leilani said...

Oh my, I wish I had known about this swap, I live nearby in Ukrainian Village. :) If you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school? I'm at grad student in the photography program at Columbia.

The Clothes Horse said...

I like the blue boots. And lucky swapmeeting girl!

Nadine said...

I really love the first look :). The skirt is so cute.

Ranna said...

I so wish I could have gone to that swap meet. I think it would totally have been worth travelling all the way to The States.

And I guess I share your beret addiction. :)
I will definately need an intervention if I'm still wearing those things when my summer break starts!

P.S. I'm in love with your Alice Temperley blouse!

Cassie said...

love the blue boots.

Isabel said...

Oh, how do I love thee swap meets? Let me count the ways... Umm, okay there's to many. I just really love swap meets.

P.S.: I'm thinking of minoring in history.

Caroline said...

your outfits always suit you so well! the first one is adorable :)

K.Line said...

That cookie goo is so appealing I can't stand it. That's just the mushy way I like them! K

a side order of style said...

ahaha great cookies, but even better then your puddle cookies is your outfit *thumbs up* great shoes

Miss Woo said...

Looks like you had great fun! I would love to have a swap party of my own!

bronwyn said...

"In real life I am a bit of a snarky, sassy person." From your post above - oh absolutely, otherwise you would never be be so adventurous and original with your style, keep it up, keep up the sassy, keep up the snarky, you're wonderful, original and creative!!!!

Lady Language said...

The cookies look really good :) It was so nice to meet you at the swap!

Marnie said...

It is not cooking skills that you lack. Instead, you could not have used a LESS correct pan on which to bake them.

SKYLA said...

ooh i like the high waist skirt and brogues.

Sheryl Wong said...

a swap seems so fun to attend!

Kristin said...

OH, I've had that problem with cookies before! I think a little extra flour to thicken the dough would probably work. Although that is much easier with a mixer than by hand. Also possible is too high a temperature in the oven and possible the thinness of the toss-away aluminum pan. Also gooey center = FABULOUS!!!
Love your blog!

iza_g said...

Hi,
I won't comment on the outfit (wonderful as usual), but on your research project subject.
Lviv- god, how I love this city. It preserved a lot of it's pre- war character (unlike prague or cracow, which get more and more commercial) and the lazy pace of life (although I know/knew many pre war inhabitants, who cry that things will never be the same again).
anyway- perfect subject to choose