Monday, April 28, 2008

Guten Tag

I have been tagged a few times, so I will lump them together into one mighty tag post.

First, I was tagged by Fazed-Girl and Fashionability.

Here are the rules:
1. Link the person who tagged you.
2. Mention the rules in your blog.
3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours.
4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them.
5. Leave a comment on each of the tagged bloggers' blogs letting them know they've been tagged.

Six quirks, eh? Let's see here.

Photobucket

I am not a terribly musical person. Music has just never moved me the way that literature, theatre or visual art do. I guess I am not stimulated by something that relies solely on listening. I am, however, rather enamoured by showtunes - not classic ones, but the obscure and irrelevant. I think it is because I can imagine a scene playing in my head while I lip synch passionately into my hairbrush.

Photobucket

I really love Nerds candy. I always buy the rainbow pack to put into my candy dish, but I only eat one color at a time. I pick them out one by one to make little monochrome piles in my palm. It is actually very tedious.

Photobucket

I can pop my own ears at will. I never really realized other people couldn't do this until I got into some conversation about it one day. I do it when I am bored, how some people may fidget or twiddle their thumbs. I like the clicking sound.

Photobucket

I really, really love "Full House." I used to watch it when I was little, so when the re-runs started popping up on Nick at Nite and ABC Family a few years ago, I tuned in for old time's sake purely ironically to enjoy the corniness of it. I kept doing it, and gradually the act lost its irony. I legitimately enjoy it now. Also, Aunt Becky and Uncle Jesse win my vote for most attractive TV couple in history. Try to think of a more attractive one. I dare you. It simply cannot be done.

Photobucket

I use the word "lovely" entirely too much, in writing and conversation. It can describe anything. I love it. The image above was found in a Google image search of the word 'lovely.' Ironically, it is an example of something that is not lovely.

Photobucket

I am a college student and thus spend plenty of time at my school library. It is one of the only places I don't get hopelessly distracted. A lot of people deem the library a great place to nap. I judge these people. I think there is something woefully inappropriate and silly about sleeping in the library. It is not a place to snooze. I especially judge the people who stretch themselves out across one or more pieces of furniture to do this. Hombre, what are you doing?

Tags two and three come from The Clothes Horse.

First, a few "five things" lists.

5 Things found in my bag: Because this survey differentiates my 'bag' from my 'purse,' I will take 'bag' to mean my school bag. Thus, my five things are textbooks, notebooks, folders, pens and a plastic travelling cup which I use to steal coffee from campus. Usually you buy a cup at the counter and then walk about 20 feet to the actual coffee pots. I justify my devious activity by the environmentally unfriendly sale of paper cups and the exhorbitant cost of tuition.
5 Things found in my purse: several tubes of chapstick, lip gloss and lipstick, my iPod, my keys, altoids and my cell phone. Doesn't get any more generic than that, does it?
5 Favorite Things in my room: my clothes, my sewing pile (comprised mostly of thrifted wares I plan to alter,) my lamp for reading in bed, my personalized stationery and my framed photos of Audrey Hepburn and the famous photo of the sailor kissing the nurse on VJ Day (my very favorite photo.)
5 Things I've always wanted to do: learn as many languages as I can, get a play published or performed, go to a ball, get around to reading War and Peace, and maintain an effective gym regimen (actually, I've done this for a period of a day or two hundreds of times.)
5 Things I'm currently into: my imminent graduation, women and Islam, "what will Putin do next?", dried papaya chunks and hating Henry David Thoreau
And 5 Impressions on The Clothes Horse (who tagged me): She knows how to rock a vest, she is a lovely writer, she is a talented artist (she even designed her own tattoo and doodled a fantastic pattern on a pair of tights,) she has a interesting interest (what?) in world cultures and, judging from her personal posts is a very unique and cool person (if we went to college together, I'd totally try and befriend her.)

Finally, tag three: I was tagged by The Clothes Horse again, but this tag originates at Stylish Wanderer. It entails:
1. Think of something we have to say for this decade. Weather its photography, runway, style or whatever. Something that is new to say for the world for the past 10 years.
2. Post it on your blog.
3. Tag 6 people and let them know on their blog


Alrighty. Clearly I am going to stab this from a style perspective. I think our generation has actually detrimented fashion quite a bit. Ours is the first generation that deems it acceptable to spend an entire day in outfits which previous generations would have dubbed 'indoor attire.'

Photobucket Photobucket
(Note: Tell me the couple modelling the pajamas is not hilarious.)

Indeed, our generation is so very casual. Previously, people dressed with a touch of formality when venturing into the light of day. I am not calling for a return to the three-piece suit and hat, but I would like to see people dress a little more nicely in general - it just seems respectful. It tells the people with whom you associate that they are significant enough to merit something without an elastic waist.

Wow, that was long-winded! These people may choose to do zero, one, two or all three tags, depending on their motivation and whether or not they've done them. Okey doke:
Style Symmetry
The Fancier
Hipster Musings
Asian Cajuns
Thriftaholic: a Tale of Two Addicts
A Side Order of Style

Enjoy!

11 comments:

jayne said...

first off! i love your blog! cute name and wonderful posts, would you like the trade links? :)

as for this post- oo i love nerds, i haven't had them in 400 years though :(. i used to be an fullhouse addict- i always liked stephanie the best, haha for no apparent reason i always indentify w/ the whiny middle child though i'm an only child lol

haha pj modeling ;)

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

Okey, I'll get on it and post tomorrow :-)

Svenske Floyd said...

No music? But you like theatre? Go to the opera I would say.

Isabel said...

Oooh, thanks for the tag. I'll try and complete it when I get back from NYC.

But, but, but how can you hate Henry David Thoreau? Reading Walden was a bit dry, but I got SO into Civil Disobedience. its one of my favourites!

ღ mey ♥¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨♥ღ said...

hiii girl
lovely blog :)

kisses! ill back here, today im hurry
ahauhauhauahu xoxo

Natasha said...

jayne: sure, you are already on my blogroll. :)

hailey: cool, can't wait!

svenske floyd: I do indeed enjoy opera, but it isn't something I can "rock out" to the way I can with showtunes. Then again, I suppose rocking out to showtunes is a bit oddball in the first place.

isabel: I don't deny his talent or his significance in literature, but from a purely aesthetic standpoint I hate the man. Reading him gives me no pleasure. I spent the last month dissecting Walden and Civil Disobedience for a literature class and my brain cells were close to committing wholesale suicide and leaping out of my ears.

mey: thanks honey!

August said...

Thanks for the tag, Miss Whimsical! I'll have to put my thinking cap on! I couldn't agree with you more regarding the detrimental fashion of this generation.
I think they should bring back tophats and smoking jackets!

simply.steph said...

bwahaha we have... or more like jae has, risen to the challenge and has posted a response to your tag... oh too honored to be tagged by you.

Thomas said...

Nothing is wrong with a return to the three-piece.

Marnie said...

I can make the clicky noise in my ears too.

Carrie O said...

I too, can pop my ears at will. I suspect it's a trait like rolling your tongue. Cheers! <3 your blog!