Saturday, April 12, 2008

Crafted for a Cause: Nest

Nest is a nonprofit organization that serves female artists in developing nations. It sells an exclusive collection of products by a small group of artists and designers. The money they raise is used to provide loans to women in countries such as Mexico, Turkey, The Democratic Republic of Congo and Tanzania to allow them to start craft-based businesses. They pay back these loans with pieces they design, which are in turn sold by Nest to raise funds for additional loans to go to other women. I love this idea - it is such a positive way for women and artists to support each other. Art influencing life influencing art, perhaps?

Nest sells its product line in retail stores and online. Here are a few of my favorite pieces.

This rosette bracelet would be adorable with something uber-menswear inspired.
Photobucket

This tank's neckline is so delightfully exaggerated, but the regal purple tones it down.
Photobucket

This kissing bird necklace is so sweet, it would look great with a tee or a floaty baby blue dress.
Photobucket

4 comments:

providentstyle said...

That necklace is amazingly cute!

The Clothes Horse said...

These are so nice and the idea behind them fantastic.
Going to a conservative Christian school means I get mixed responses to my tattoo, most people don't think it's real!

deep_in_vogue said...

I love the neckline! beautiful!

I V Y O L O G Y said...

Wow, I haven't heard of Nest before! Just when I thought it was time to curb my spending, I find a good reason not to :) I'm definitely checking them out.
Oh! And it's Blogger Appreciation Day today, so mwah! xx
http://www.problogger.net/archives/2008/04/14/today-is-blogger-appreciation-day-unofficial/