Saturday, March 22, 2008

Snowy afternoons

It is so typically Chicago to give us another blizzard two days before Easter. I wanted to do something fun indoors, so I hopped on down to the Art Institute to see their special exhibit on Edward Hopper.

Photobucket

I adore Hopper's work, and Nighthawks has always been one of my favorite paintings. I love the way he portrays people and isolation in the city. The small plaques next to each work were also informative. I learned, for instance, that Hopper is heralded for paying such detailed attention to the clothing of his subjects, particularly his women. I love the women he paints...they are sophisticated, stylish, but complex. I also love their make-up and hats.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


As for today, snow and ice are all over the place but nothing is actually falling from the sky. I went out to lunch earlier, and I think I'll kill the afternoon with some grocery shopping and reading.

sunny n' snowy

Beret: shop in San Francisco
Sweater: thrifted
Corduroy jumper: thrifted
Cat Brooch: thrifted
Tights: Target
Blue socks: H&M
Pewter pumps: Target

...and, a contemplative hipster-esque shot in which I am literally gazing into your soul.

DSC01719

18 comments:

Della Street Dreaming said...

thank you for posting those wonderful Hopper paintings. I, too am a big fan of his & when I go to New York, I always make a bee line for the Met & MOMA to see them in the flesh.
You posted one that I can't remember seeing before which was exciting - the woman in the hotel, 1955.
Sue (middleagedteacher)

Rose said...

I like your light pink beret! So pretty.

Nadine said...

I love the beret with those amazing socks. Great style!

Caroline said...

we got hit with it too, don't worry. how werid? i hate snow.

Eleh said...

i am loving all the pictures you posted on this post!

The Clothes Horse said...

I love that shirt you are wearing. Hopper's paintings are lovely and the snow looks pretty, even if it does mean its too cold for spring!

sungelly87 said...

i loved the hopper exhibit. esp. chop suey.

The Rox Star said...

Your blue socks are rockin' my world. The paintings are just as awesome!

Wendy said...

Nice artsy outfit, the pink beret being the perfection touch. And those electric blue socks totally steal the spotlight.

Maddy said...

Oh, good old Hopper. Those colors, those ladies... iconic, I tell you. They have inspired more than a few outfits of mine.

Bee said...

Hopper truly is one of the best.

Awesome socks too!

Isa said...

impressive, you gazing into my soul.. ;)

Fidget Finds said...

love the outfit! (especially the beret)

Fred The Mole said...

You are really cute with the pink beret ans the sunnies !! I love Ava G ...
Hi from Paris !
Your blog is great !
Have a look at :
http://easyfashion.blogspot.com/
I would be glad to have your point of view …

Many Thankx

Fred the Mole

bronwyn said...

The Edward Hopper paintings are really wonderful...love the pink beret...and you're definately one of those people who can carry off short hair in fabulous style. Both shorter lengths suit you in my opinion, and the shorter pixie haircut is ever so cool. As for the 1940's styles - just the thought of how much time one would have to spend on that is enough to have me heading for the hills:)

Stephanie said...

I love the socks in the outfit! I wonder if we'll run into each other sometime... Chicago's a pretty big city, though.

(R)evolver74 said...

I've yet to go and see the exhibit, but I'm planning to. Great blog btw, I hope you don't mined that I've linked you..

Do you go SAIC?

the iron chic said...

Wow. I really love those paintings. I've never heard of that artist. Must investigate.........