Friday, March 21, 2008

A Hairy Situation

Right now, my hair is the longest it's been in ages. I love short hair - it is sassy and fun, and you spend less money on hair products. Here are two photos of me from about 1.5 years ago:

chin length

pixie

(Note: I really loved my pixie at first, but then when it was growing out I looked like Paul McCartney for four months.)

Anyhow, I am a sucker for change. My hair has been long for a while and I'm definitely getting the urge to spice things up. However, right now I am in the application process for the US Peace Corps and am growing my hair out so that I don't have to deal with flat irons and high-maintenance crops in what could very well be a hut in the third world. It will be much more convenient to throw it back in a braid or something and not be tied down by it.

Still, I am beginning to think that there are many lovely hairstyles I have admired before but was not able to do when my hair was shorter. I want to take advantage of my hair's length and try some new things. Specifically, I want to set out to achieve the dramatic, full waves reminiscent of Old Hollywood.

Top to bottom: Ava Gardner, Rita Hayworth, Lana Turner, Katherine Hepburn

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


This post on The Glam Guide gives a step-by-step guide on how to achieve the 1940s 'do. It's right up there with rocket science, but I'm going to give it a shot sometime soon anyhow and make you privy to the results.

Not today though...can you believe it is blizzarding outside?

11 comments:

WendyB said...

LOL @ Paul McCartney. At least he was the cutest Beatle!

puf! said...

my hair is the longest ever too, but i'd like to have shorter haircut. anyway i'm a bit afraid of it, i think i don't know any good hairdresser.

-Dominika

p.s. you're in our favourite's (:

The Clothes Horse said...

I'd love a Veronica Lake 'do!

K.Line said...

You look adorable with pixie hair. K

Isabel said...

Short hair for the win! I quite like your former chin-length do, you look adorable. But definitely give a 40s style 'do a try, it'll be sweet! I can't believe I just used "do" as a noun twice. Lame.

Brittany(aka Ruby) said...

There are a few vintage hairstyle tutorials on youtube.
Huge help!
I'll be posting one hopefully mid to late April.
Suggestion:Leave your hair long and have your major snip when you get back. Then donate it to locks of love.

styleraven said...

You look like Winona Ryder in the first pic.

Adele said...

i love your hair short its amazing... mine has always been sholder length boring lol i havent got the guts to ever chop it off haha

heather said...

I think that if you look great with short hair, and you do, you almost HAVE to have it, which you should.

If only to make people with big heads, like myself jealous

Eleh said...

i really like the pixie cut on you! i think it really brings out your features!

Lady Language said...

I always wanted to get a pixie cut, but it's not right for my face. It is a good look for you, but a 40s do would be nice as well.