Wednesday, March 19, 2008

(Fictional) fashion is cyclical

I have never actually seen an episode of Gossip Girl, but anyone who spends even a minimal amount of time reading fashion blogs must by now be familiar with the clothes on the show. Indeed, every photo I've seen does suggest that the fashion on the show is covet-worthy. Is it just me, though, or do the looks on Gossip Girl bear a disturbing amount of resemblance to the looks in the 1989 dark comedy Heathers (by far, the best high school movie ever made)?

The Gossip Girls definitely strike me as modern, re-cooked Veronica Sawyers and Heather Chandlers. Both casts are frequently outfitted in a business-meets-twee look, with plaids and blazers abound. Take a look for yourself! It was pretty tough to find Heathers movie stills, but hopefully you will get the idea. Or, better yet, maybe you've seen the movie!

Gossip Girl Photos:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Heathers Photos:

Photobucket

Photobucket

(these are the same outfits as those above, but in color)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Do you see the similarities too? Or did I eat a brain tumor for breakfast?

11 comments:

www.stylesymmetry.com said...

no brain tumors, good observation! Heathers was great. :-)

hillary said...

whats your damage?? It soo like totally does not look like heaters!


Yes it totally does!!! I just couldn't resist.

hillary said...

doh I mean heathers!
I said heaters....uhhh what?

Rose said...

Nice blog! Loving your outfits, they're so colorful.

And yeah personally, i find some of the outfits on gossip girl sometimes a lil too much.. but they rock most fo the time=)

The Clothes Horse said...

There are similarities. I feel the GG look is both less and more dated...if that is possible.

Aisha said...

I've never seen that movie you wrote about, but i do see some similarities with GG fashion, show that i always watch (like a guilty pleasure i have to admit).

Anonymous said...

the actress in the first "heathers" photo looks like you! i'm not familiar with the movie, but the hairstyles are amazing. "there is nothing new under the sun."

addicted said...

great observation! i miss gossip girl!!

Ranna said...

I've never thought about it before, but yes I see the similarities!

Heathers is a wonderful, wonderful movie. And the styles are still amazing (especially the outfit Winona Ryder's character wears to the college party).
Plus I've had a serious crush on Christian Slater ever since I saw the movie for the first time. :)

Anonymous said...

Heathers is good! 'heathers' fashion was very much relevant to the 80s power dressing whereby GG is kind of diluted in references.

GlamaRuth said...

Totally! Different styling, of course, but same idea. And I can't believe there are people who've never seen Heathers (does it date methat my friends and I watched it and Pump Up the Volume almost every weekend? They were just automatically on at parties) - althoug I guess with the plot vis-a-vis more recent real life, it won't get shown on TV anytime soon