Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What should we do with our summer tunics?

About a year and a half ago, every fashionista I know obediently purchased a babydoll tunic top. The item became a summer staple. We wore them with leggings, capris and shorts. I find them tough to wear with much else. Many tunic style tops are billowy, and depending on the material they can be tough to layer or tuck in. They are a challenge to mix into new ensembles unless the shapes are just right. This problem is exacerbated by the winter - no more pedal pushers!

I was inspired today by this gal from Street Fashion in Cracow:

Photobucket

I like the way her skirt is peeking out just a bit. The look reminds me of a dropwaisted dress that someone like Erin Fetherston would make. Today, I hiked my skirt high up on my waist and let my tunic top fall over it.

winter tunic

Beret: flea market in Paris
Shades: Target
Necklace: gift
Eggplant turtleneck: H&M
Babydoll tunic: Forever 21
Pleated skirt: thrifted
Black tights: Urban Outfitters, thrifted in package
Blue knee socks: Urban Outfitters
Grannyish loafers: thrifted

...how do you work your tunic tops into winter outfits?

10 comments:

Hailey said...

awww, you look super cute (but is that snow on your balcony? ack!!). I try to layer over other dresses and skirts or loosly hang over a belt. it is tough thou, haven't worn them much at all.

Jello on Springs said...

I love your purple beret and all the tunics I have are quite longish, or maybe they just seem long because I'm short. Either way since I'm vertically challenged I can get away with wearing them as dresses sometimes.

lalaliu said...

super cute outfit. I've been discovering the same problems as well. I have a lot of tunic style tops and have even bought more lately since they were all so cheap. sometimes it works when I tuck it in other times i just wear it with shorts and tights.

Eleh said...

loving the tights. and that beret worh with your tunic is amazing.

heather said...

it's feaking super smart! the laryers are wonderful

tyjen said...

just wanted to say I have those exact same socks!

Gabba said...

Thanks for watching my blog ;-)
It's so nice to know that someone's inspired of my photos!
Regards from Krakow.

Nadine said...

I useally wear turtlenecks under my tunics to make them work in winter :). I adore your look here.

Squishybubble said...

I LOVE that hat....

GlamaRuth said...

I layer a tank or camisole under, wear them over skinny pants and top with a fitted blazer to reign in the volume, or I belt with a wide leather sash (vintage 80's - I have them in just about every color)over wide-legged (but slim-hipped) pants or jeans.