Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Nature inspiration: Rodarte

Clothing inspired by nature is not exactly a novel idea. In fact, I feel like the earthy, ethereal princess look has been popping up a lot lately. It usually implies a re-cooked hippy aesthetic with a dash of fairy, as modeled by this woman:

Photobucket

Designers Kate and Laura Mulleavy of Rodarte have pushed things a little further with these. They are more than just inspired by nature, they look like they could actually occur in it:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

These outfits literally look like plant life. The shoes even boast tiny spikes that remind one of thorns. If either of the first two dresses were growing in my backyard, there is a 100% chance I would build a clubhouse at the bustline and not let boys in. And I want to put the green one in a decorative pot and set it by the window in my living room.

Not to extend the nature pun, but these dresses are so fresh. I haven't seen anything like them. The entire Rodarte show sounds innovative. According to Style, the arena itself was adorned with string sculptures by Eva Hesse. I like that this show seemed to infuse the art of couture with the humanity of Ready to Wear. The creativity is so bold.

I would absolutely wear the first two dresses. The cut-outs would keep me from donning the green dress, but I can see it looking fantastic on the right person for the right event.

2 comments:

bronwyn said...

I absolutely loved the Rodarte collection for it's beauty and artistry, this is really where fashion meets art. On a more practical level I'm not sure how wearable it actually is, especially the stockings. It would definitely take a certain kind of person to carry it off. I look forward to seeing pics of celebs etc wearing pieces from this collection.

The Clothes Horse said...

You should look through their archives! I liked their last collection too. Rodarte is gorgeous.