Saturday, February 9, 2008

Fashion week inspiration: pysanky

A lot of designers opted for very basic black-dominated palettes this season, so I was quite happy to come across collections that employed print and color in an interesting way. Several looks seemed to reference traditional pysanky, ornately decorated eggs of Eastern European folk tradition:

Photobucket

Pysanky are even more beautiful in person. Each one has a special life to it. They are full of color, movement and imagery. They are playful and full of fun details. I couldn't help but delight at the parallels between this ancient folk art and runway looks by Chris Benz, Luella and Anna Sui (the last two looks are hers):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

These dresses are so full of vitality. I love how they draw upon ethnic and folksy traditions without being overt. Vsyevo khoroshevo!

3 comments:

WendyB said...

I'm loving the prints and colors.

The Clothes Horse said...

I love those types of eggs. It's marvelous to have them about Easter time.

Isa said...

those designs are adorable, I´m not a minimalist talking fashion so I was a little panicking over all of those jil sander-ish black and grey creations lately, feeling like a five-year-old next to all of those grown ups. ;)

in fact, I like neverland, though.