Monday, January 14, 2008

Screen Inspiration: Ellie Andrews

Last night I watched the 1934 classic "It Happened One Night," which was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I must say that I was enamoured with the smart, chic travelling suit donned by Ellie Andrews, played by Claudette Colbert:

Photobucket

It is fitted perfectly, with a sweet collar and print to boot. I'll be on the lookout for a vintage jacket with button and collar details. I also love the look of Ms. Colbert's quintessential '30s bob and exaggerated make-up.

I also advocate accessorizing any outfit with Clark Gable.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love this photo! It's great when you see everyday fashion from different eras, it's so much easier to copy.

As for permission slips, the kids on the show did luck out... I always ended up forgetting and forging mine. Unfortunately I never went to outer space.

The Clothes Horse said...

I adore this movie. I like how he says he could write a book on hitch-hiking and thumbs, then fails miserablely. She is one of my favorite old movie actresses as well.