Thursday, January 17, 2008

Never say never: rugby polo shirt

Sometimes, the best fashion inspiration comes from the use of reverse psychology. I think that there are very few garments that are in themselves so offensive that they cannot be worn at all (kitten sweatshirts and crocs would be a part of this surely short list.) Instead, I think that almost any item can be chic with the right supporting cast. Any thrifter knows how creative and open one has to be whilst rack-scouring.

Still, there are plenty of items I don't like or wouldn't feel are very 'me.' One such item is an Abercrombie and Fitch rugby polo shirt. Thus, through the magic of Polyvore, I took an item I wouldn't ordinarily wear and put it into an outfit that I would:



When paired with a skirt and layered under a tank dress, it is less preppy and generic (my main grievance with them,) and more stylish.

Sidenote: the handbag in my ensemble is a convertible clutch from one of those accessory rental businesses (the netflix principle with handbags...use it and then send it back.) I don't think I could ever get on board with something like that, I am not one to avoid being seen twice with the same bag. Thoughts?

4 comments:

Heather said...

That's a great outfit!

I don't understand the whole rent-a-bag sensation.. it's really just trying too hard to put forth an image to me. Then again, I'm really hard on bags so I couldn't return it in perfect condition!

The Clothes Horse said...

Maybe try to find a bag similar thrifting that you like or at least wait and see if you still want it awhile from now. I used to be polo shirt girl, now I don't know how I would wear them, they seem so not me...I'm beginning to realize they never were, but I dressed rather haphazardly in what others liked before.

Hailey said...

hey, I just realized - you don't have purses so much in your posts. Would love to see some!

Isabel said...

Wow, it's great to see a 'preppy' item taken out of context like that!